I have some really exciting news for you! The lovely Rachelle has asked The Pie Patch to be an ambassador for this year’s Zero Waste Week. A full list of ambassadors is available here.
This is a week-long campaign, running from 1st to 7th September, which aims to raise awareness of how much rubbish we all produce. We’ll be sharing helpful tips and ways to reduce the amount waste we all create in our daily lives.
I’m thrilled to have been asked to participate. My regular readers will know that I’ve been taking steps over the last year or so to reduce my family’s household waste. This year’s theme is “One More Thing”. Is there “one more thing” we can do to reduce our waste? Can you pledge to make one change? Here are some of my top suggestions:
1. Use up leftovers and scraps
2. Switch to washable wet wipes and make-up pads
3. Buy reusable sandwich wraps and snack bags
4. Use non-paper kitchen roll
5. Invest in cloth nappies and sell/pass them on post-potty training
6. Get yourself a compost bin for kitchen peelings and garden cuttings
7. Grow your own fruit and veg
8. Consider switching to alternative menstrual products (AMPs)
9. Take your own bags to the supermarket
10. Get a water butt in your back garden and use less mains water.
So for now, if you want to see what it’s all about, have a look at the Zero Waste Week website. This will be added to over the next few months leading up to the big event and I’ll be bringing you more news and updates as they happen.